Thursday, January 25, 2018

Baltimore - George Peabody Library

Greetings from Baltimore, Maryland! I'm in town for a few days to visit friends and explore the city. Yesterday, I strolled along Charles Street and stopped in at the George Peabody Library.


I've seen photos of this glorious library before, never realizing that it is open to the public. Walking through a smaller room to step into the doorway and be greeted by this spectacular site was one of those jaw dropping, breathtaking moments that will forever be remembered.


The Peabody Library building, which opened in 1878, was designed by Baltimore architect Edmund G. Lind,  


in collaboration with the first provost, Dr. Nathaniel H. Morison.  


Renowned for its striking architectural interior, the Peabody Stack Room contains five tiers of ornamental cast-iron balconies, which rise dramatically to the skylight 61 feet above the floor.





The ironwork was fabricated by the Bartlett-Robbins Company.*


This architectural gem is truly awe inspiring. A second visit was required on my way back to the hotel later in the afternoon. Many of the tables were occupied and I couldn't help but wonder what one would think if I sat down and took out my stitching. Another time...


*exerpt from George Peabody Library History

3 comments:

  1. These images make me want to visit Baltimore! No wonder your jaw dropped. I think libraries are one of the best places to visit when you are away - especially in Europe where there are some small but amazing private libraries which are now open to the public. Or the monastery libraries. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I would want to spend days there! Library lover here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular...yes to jaw dropping beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...